Statement of Johnny Mercer, MP, on Child Abuse

////////

HOLDING JOHNNY MERCER TO HIS WORD

1

Zen was raised in the country,
by parents who were both serving officers in WW2.

2

Zen's father went to Dartmouth in 1936,
was 16 year-old Royal Navy Midshipman in 1939,
and about to command a submarine at war in 1945 -
having risen to First Lieutenant on HMS TORBAY -
when the Japanese unsportingly upped stumps -
though he did receive a Distinguished Service Cross,
and commanded submarines until 1956,
including in the Sea of Japan during the Korean War
( he never mentioned it ).

3

Zen's mother joined First Aid Nursing Yeomanry in 1939,
and never said a word about her entire service,
so that only after her death did Zen's research discover
her links to SOE French Section,
and that she was specifically requested by Major Lewis Gielgud
for service in Europe 1944 to 1948.

4

My parents taught me to be truthful,
and to be honourable,
and the older type of Devon countryman, farmer and labourer,
taught me that 'A man that runs word' is worthless.

5

Zen has always tried to live up to that ideal.

6.1

6.2

Zen recently discovered
the first picture he had ever seen of his great-grandfather,
and was surprised to find how similar he is to Zen.

6.3

Zen's great-grandfather won a Distinguished Service Order
at the Battle of Nooitgedacht in December 1900 in South Africa,
as a Captain in the Imperial Yeomanry,
leading 50 men from Devon,, Cornwall, and Fife,
1000 feet uphill through a gorge,
to attack 500 to 1000 Boers
on top of the cliffs of the Madgeliesburg Range.

Of the 50 men,
27 were wounded or killed -
himself with a serious wound to the thigh -
and he and others lay out in the heat and the cold
for 2 days.

6.4

6.5

When I think of my dealings with authority,
I see my great-grandfather in that gorge.

It may be an uphill battle
against overwhelming odds, natural and human,
but he never quit.

His men were sacrificed in a hail of fire,
and gave Brigadier Clements just enough time
to save half of his men,
and his best gun.

I know what it is to be wounded -
in my case for 25 years,
ever since exposing Cornish planning corruption -
and I know what it is to face an uphill battle -
in my case with no social approval ( quite the opposite ) -
but I do not quit.

7

Your words ( IMG above ) rang true to me, Johnny.

8

In an age of professional mediocrities
protecting careers and pensions,
I thought I had found a gentleman,
who spoke plainly,
and might act swiftly.

9

I was right on the first,
but sadly wrong on the second.

10

It is never too late.

11

The boys of Plymouth - now men - are worth it.

12

I once again invite you to help expose this awful scandal.
END
JOHNNY MERCER WORDS TO ZEN